This is one of our most popular appetizers at The Beaver Dam. We call them Fried Cheese Uglies, because they sometimes come out ugly, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t just as yummy.
Here’s what you need:
- 6 String cheese sticks, cut in half
- ½ cup bread flour
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese and marinara sauce
Here’s what you do:
- Break an egg in a little bowl, add a splash of water and whisk to make an egg wash.
- Pour the flour on waxed paper, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll the cheese in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Then dip them in the egg wash and let the excess drip off.
- Roll it back in the flour again.
- Put the cheese sticks in the freezer for 30 minutes. Now listen, this is important. Don’t forget them (like you would, right?). If they freeze too long, they won’t fry right.
- After they’ve been in the freezer 20 minutes or so, put some olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When you put them in, you want them to fry pretty quickly so the cheese won’t melt and run out. That’s what makes them Uglies; and if you want them that way that’s okay.
- Just turn them as they brown. When they’re done, drain them on a paper towel, move them to a plate, sprinkle some parmesan cheese and serve with marinara sauce.