Using breakfast sausage instead of ground beef makes this a fun take on traditional spaghetti. If you use turkey sausage, it also makes it healthier. And don’t get hung up over the amounts on any of the ingredients. We don’t know what you like; we only know how we like it! Your taste may vary. The carrots add sweetness without using processed sugar. Have fun and create a great spaghetti with a twist!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage (or turkey breakfast sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of mushrooms, pieces and stems
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- Up to 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil preferably. If not, oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (we use a lot more)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Here’s what you do:
- Saute the onions, peppers and carrots until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until done.
- Add the tomatoes, sauce and paste.
- Add basil (or oregano), chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over (well, duh) spaghetti noodles.